Monday, May 14, 2007

Advice

I broke my own rule on ck but I felt I needed to help

"Hi there,I am more comfortable Pm'ing than thread posting.

I hope you do not mind but I looked over your food diary a bit.

I wanted to see if I could get an idea of why you came back prediabetic.
I want to preface what I am writing by saying that I too came back pre diabetic over a year ago, but due to nutritional education, both thru my doc and on my own, I am no longer at risk of getting diabetes.

I have struggled for almost 40 years with weight and was in such a bad way physically, that instead of resigning myself to death by age 50 I had WLS and had the gastric band put in on Jan 24, 2006. I have dropped 66 pounds so far and am eternally grateful for modern medicine, but I do not wish it for anyone else unless there is no other way.

That said, here is what I noticed:

Your sugar content is too high. Yes, you are where CK wants you to be with carbs but too many are coming from your desserts: ie. the cold stone creamery stuff. This not only will kick up the sugars to unhealthy levels but it is probably a major contributer to your cholesterol levels that are showing on ck: ie 393 for the last week. Normal is around 100 to 150.

You can customize your food diary to show you how many sugars and cholesterol and sodium (which looks just right by the way) for each of the foods you enter. This is what I did and it helped me greatly to make better choices.

I would also try and add to your diet more and different types of fish and seafood.I discovered in the past two years: Tilapia or St. Peters Fish, Salmon (great for Omega 3's which help the body heal itself), Halibut (great but is expensive) Tuna Steak, as well as crab and clam meat, which I put with romaine lettuce and vegis, adding a squirt of real lime and lemon to.

I now have fish 4 times a week and maybe once a week red meat. I no longer eat a whole egg, rather I eat the whites and give my dog the yolk (dogs do not have cholestrol issues and the yolk is where all the cholesterol is) Stay away from fried fish and seafood though. Too high in fats and cholesterol.

Add more fresh fruits for the sugars and fresh vegis. These will help the body work better and ahem, clean out the system more efficently.

Finally, up the exercise a bit. Every day, increase by a minute or so. Get the heart pumping a bit. Break a sweat. This will get the metabolism moving.

I give this advice because this is what I have had to learn to do on my journey to health and joy.I hope it will help and know I mean it with care and concern for you.

Have a joyous day

Sandra

No comments: